Savory Spaghetti Squash Recipe from our guest Blogger, Jamie Barker of Wallace & James
Posted on October 17 2016
Autumn is in the air. The weather is cooling, the days are getting shorter, we begin to see pumpkin-spice everything and squash is abundant at the farmer’s market. The chilly nights inspire me to roast vegetables and Spaghetti squash is one of my fall favorites for it’s versatility and ability to satisfy my Italian food cravings without actually eating pasta. This recipe is simple and saves well which suits our home nicely.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 5 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 medium onion
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- olive oil
- salt to taste
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 4 fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Parmesan cheese to sprinkle
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and scrape out seeds. Roast at 425 degrees for 35 minutes.
- While squash is roasting, chop onion and garlic and add to cast iron. Saute for five minutes or until translucent.
- Add tomatoes and saute on low for 20 minutes or until desired consistency.
- Add spinach and continue to cook on low for an additional 5 minutes
- Add red pepper flakes and salt.
- Remove squash from the oven and allow to cool.
- Once cooled, scrape out the squash meat and add to the cast iron. Mix together.
- To serve, top with 1 chopped basil leaf, a sprinkle of Parmesan and 1/2 tablespoon pine nuts.
Enjoy with people you love.