I’m sure by now you've heard of the Clean Beauty Movement. But how clean is clean beauty?
The term ‘clean beauty’ is entirely unregulated and leaves a lot of room for claims that products are better or cleaner than they may be. Within the United States, the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) bans just 11 ingredients within cosmetics, while the UK bans over 1,300. Because there truly is no clear definition for clean beauty - or terms like ‘naturally derived’, ‘cruelty-free’, and ‘non-toxic’- brands can use this verbiage as marketing ploys to make false claims and create their own definitions of clean beauty.
At John Masters Organics, we strive for transparency with our ingredients and our products. Everything we do stems from Perfectly Natural Beauty, and we leave the "clean" standard up to the experts. We choose to certify our products with third party certifications, like COSMOS Organic, so you can feel good about what you're putting on your body.
What is COSMOS - Certified Organic?
"COSMetic Organic and Natural Standard" - A certification, recognized worldwide, that denotes sustainable practices and reliably organic ingredient composures of beauty products.
What does COSMOS- Certified Organic mean?
A beauty care product is COSMOS-Certified Organic only if:
- 95% minimum of the plants it contains are organic
- At least 20% of organic ingredients are present in the total formula (10% for rinse-off products)
- Production and Packaging meet all other COSMOS Standards
What are the COSMOS Standards?
- Defined standards for water, mineral, and ingredients of mineral origin.
- Defined processes for calculating the organic content of ingredients.
- Ensures cleanliness, hygiene, and traceability of ingredients, and that product packaging respects the environment.
- Details the requirements for care of the environment throughout the manufacturing process and recycling waste.
- Comprehensive requirements for clear COSMOS labeling on products
- All products, raw materials and manufacturing is certified by a component.
- Genetically Modified Materials (GMO's) are forbidden.
- Nanomaterials (labeled as fullerenes, micronized zinc oxide, nano zinc oxide, micronized titanium dioxide, etc.) are forbidden.
- Products are forbidden from being tested on animals by the manufacturer or third party.
- Promoting the usage of responsibly sourced organic materials.
- Strict annual inspections for COSMOS Certification renewals.
- Organic and natural percentages of ingredients are required on all cosmetic packaging, in addition to a strictly prohibited ingredient list.
- Genetically modified organisms (GMOs)
- Synthetic perfumes and dyes
- Animal-derived ingredients
- Petroleum-derived ingredients
*This list is not exhaustive/ all inclusive of the ingredients banned by the COSMOS Organization.*
Our COSMOS-Certified Organic Collection:
- Styling Gel with Meadowsweet and Aloe Vera
- Concentrate Face Gel Milk with Pomegranate and Lily
- Moisturizing Foaming Face Wash with Bergamot and Sea Buckthorn
- Nourish Facial Oil with Pomegranate
- Argan Oil